The Department was started by Mr. S.B. Guha Biswas, Miss Sunanda Das and Miss Sibani Biswas joind the department in the year 1960 and 1961 respectively. After retirement of Prof. Guha Biswas and resignation of Prof. Sibani Biswas, Dr. Tapan Deb, Dr. Sunanda Ghosh joined the department in the year 1972. Dr. Sunanda Ghosh left the college in the year 1984 and Prof. Pranata Deb Chakraborty joined the department from Mariani College in her place. In the year 2000, both Prof. Sunanda Das (Bhattacharjee) and Dr. Tapan Deb retired from their service and Dr Pradip Kr. Sarkar and Dr. Gouri Bhattacharjee joined in the department in the same year. Prof. Pranata Deb Chakraborty retired from her service in the year 2009.
The library facility for the students of our department is excellent. At present there are 1500 No. of Bengali Books in our college library. Besides these, we have also a small Departmental library.
The result of the examination in very good. From 2010 every year most of major and MIL students occupy first class. Most of them are studying in the Guwahati University, Assam Central University and Rabindra Bharoti University West Bengal and Law college, Jorhat. After complete the B.A., LLB and P.G. they are service various sector as Private bank and company. Some of them are practice in Jorhat Court. We try to more improve our departmental result.